In September 1935 Maurits Cornelis Escher made a woodcut for his cousin Anton Escher, the director of an engineering works in The Hague. His factory, which he founded in 1925, would become a large metalworks company which owned the largest construction hall of the city in the 1950s.
In 1930 the company started using stick welding. Maurits Escher used the welder with his distinctive hood for the woodcut, which was to be used as a logo for his cousin. Anton was very happy with the result and paid him 60 guilders. Quite a sum of money. Compare it to a total of 16 prints Escher sold in 1935, for 109 guilders*. So, in spite of this well-paid commission, it proved to be a very bad year financially. The logo can be seen in a letterhead from the collection of the SHIE (The Hague Industrial Heritage).